The legal arrangement for the right to occupy a dwelling in some countries is known as the housing tenure.
Types of housing tenure include owner occupancy, tenancy, housing cooperative, condominiums (individually parceled properties in a single building), public housing, squatting, and cohousing. The occupants of a residence constitute a household.
Residences can be classified by, if, and how they are connected to neighboring residences and land.
Different types of housing tenure can be used for the same physical type.
For example, connected residents might be owned by a single entity and leased out, or owned separately with an agreement covering the relationship between units and common areas and concerns.
- Major categories in North America and Europe
- Attached / multi-unit dwellings
- Apartment. Often seen in multi-story apartment buildings...
- Multi-family house...
- Terraced house (a. k. a. townhouse or rowhouse) ...
- Condominium. Common grounds and common areas within the complex are owned and shared jointly...
- Cooperative (a. k. a. co-op) A type of multiple ownership...
- Semi-detached dwellings (in UK, a semi is by definition two units with a party wall).
- Duplex Two units with one shared wall. (in UK, a duplex is an apartment on more than one storey)
- Single-family detached home
- Portable dwellings
- Mobile homes Potentially a full-time residence which can be (might not in practice be) movable on wheels.
- Houseboats A floating home
- Tents Usually very temporary, with roof and walls consisting only of fabric-like material.
The size of an apartment or house can be described in square feet or meters...
It can be described more roughly by the number of rooms...
- Major categories in India and the Asian Subcontinent
- Co-operative Housing Societies (CHS)
- Builder flats
- Independent Floors
- Lal Dora Where people carry out commercial and residential activities both.
The size is measured in Gaz (square yards), Quila, Marla, Beegha, and acre.
See List of house types for a complete listing of housing types and layouts, real estate trends for shifts in the market and house or home for more general information.
'my Emotions' Safari
O&A' :: OUTSIDE & AROUND'm.
Travel, Tour & Experience Design